Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Homemade Orange Clean

Well, it is more like grapefruit clean! I got home from the store and looked at my receipt and was like "They charged me for grapefruit, these are oranges!"


Well, dear readers, clearly these are not oranges! So... we get to see how grapefruit cleaner works! If you know me, then you know there are a few things that I could not live without! Coconut oil, vinegar, and my homemade cleaners. My homemade orange clean is my go to cleaner and I L-O-V-E it! So, even though I am using grapefruit, the process of making the cleaner is the same.

I start out by cutting up my oranges into slices- this way the oranges can be used for eating. Since I don't typically eat a whole bag of oranges in one sitting, I don't want them to go to waste. I then cut the orange off of the orange rind and cut the rind into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces. I then place the cut up rind into a quart size mason jar until it reaches to the very top!


Then comes one of my favorite things... VINEGAR! White distilled vinegar is good for so many things. It is typically used in every load of my laundry! I was just telling Chadwick that I need to buy stocks in vinegar. I definitely stock up when there is a sale. 


I fill up the mason jar with vinegar until there is no room left in the jar. Seal with a ring and lid. I re-use old lids since this does not need to be sealed. I pay for those, no use throwing them away if I can use them again ;-)


Let your rind and vinegar mixture sit for two weeks. I hate waiting. I let mine sit on the kitchen counter, so every time I see it I pick it up and shake it. I don't think this actually does anything to it, but it doesn't hurt it either. I often forget to get my new batch going before I run out, so I usually have even less patience. I will tell ya, it is worth waiting the two weeks though. 

After the two weeks are up, strain into an empty spray bottle. Tada! Homemade orange clean! Orange clean that is bought from the store is told to be great for cutting through grease and that it what I used it for when I was buying it. Homemade orange clean is even better. I use it in the kitchen on a daily basis. It cleans my stove like a dream!

Once my grapefruit/vinegar mixture has sat for two weeks, I will update on how well it works. I'm not going to lie, I have doubts. Citrus, do not fail me now! 

This takes about 10 to 15 minutes to complete. It is so easy and very rewarding! I was able to get it done this morning and still enjoy my morning tea from my favorite place: Teavana. This morning I tried my new Strawberry Rose Champagne loose leaf. VERY yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment