Friday, July 26, 2013

Two weeks later...

It didn't take long to get our rinky dink  house packed up and ready to move... One of the hardest things I have ever had to do, is say goodbye to the only place I have ever lived. My family, my friends, my home. We were off.

Considering how small our house was, we had a caravan of vehicles on our drive up. I attribute this to Chad's love of cars. While Chad was driving our Cherokee pulling a car dolly with his VW Rabbit pick-up, I was driving his grandparents 4-door dually diesel pick-up pulling a large enclosed trailer. Not only was this the first time I had driven this truck, but it was the first time I had pulled a trailer as well. I had 8 hours of drive time ahead of me, along with a 7 mile suspension bridge. Oy! Our friend Chad helped us in the move and he was riding with Chad and I was accompanied by Chad's sister Amanda. It always helps to have some distraction on such a long drive.

I couldn't have been happier with the trip up. No break downs, no flat tires, no accidents, and no car sickness. Woo hoo! It didn't feel like long before we were pulling up to our new "home". It was hard for me to consider this home when I had only been to the area one time before moving in. It was a nice little duplex in what (at the time) seemed like a quiet area. 

We unpacked the vehicles so that we could turn around and make the trip back downstate, because Chad was leaving for Costa Rica for two weeks. Who leaves for Costa Rica the same week you move 8 hours away from home and RIGHT before you start a brand new job after being laid off for 6 months? My husband. It was a crazy hectic few days. I stayed with my in-laws while he was gone so that we could make the trip back to the U.P. when he returned.

After returning from Costa Rica and back to the U.P. we worked on getting settled in. At Chad's new job he was the only one in his company that worked in the state of Michigan. That meant long hours and lots of middle of the night call ins. It was hard to get used to a schedule like that, but we were grateful that God had given us a job that was stable. I decided to stay home so that when he was home, we could spend time together. In our first two years of marriage, we both worked and we didn't get much quality time together. I didn't want the stress of being in a new and unknown area get the best of us if we were only seeing each other here and there.

It didn't take long for us to start looking for a church. After spending a few weeks driving around the area, we knew of a handful of churches in the area. Our first Sunday trying out a new church we went to Lake Superior Christian Church and from that Sunday on we knew that God wanted us there. It was our first Sunday that we were asked to go on a camping trip with the young adult group. We are either very brave or crazy. We were going to spend the night in an unknown area with people we just met. To our (not so much) surprise, we had a blast. We met some awesome people and got to enjoy some relaxing time on Lake Michigamme. 

There is nothing better than a great church family when making a transition into an area where you know NO ONE. 


No comments:

Post a Comment